Thursday, January 17, 2013

Twenty Thirteen

I know it's the middle, slash that, past the middle of the first month of the year, and it may seem a little late to start "resolutions," however, I've learned a lot in the last seventeen days.  I thought an illustration of what I've learned combined with my own desires might make an interesting blog, so here we go:

It's nice to smell nice.  Buy an expensive perfume you love.  Buy a cheap one.  As long as you smell nice, you'll be nice.  Hopefully.

Be yourself.  I love the: "unless you can be a unicorn, then always be a unicorn" but I think through the glamour and humor of it all, we're missing the point.  It's important to be yourself.  YOU have something to share.  YOU have something to teach someone.  YOU have love to give.  YOU are the only YOU.  You can't make a difference if you aren't honest with yourself.

Love your children.  These are the mini-mes of the future.  This is your chance to mold the best you, with upgrades.  It's quality.  Read.  Write.  Run.  Play.  Color.  Imagine.  Do it all, every chance you get.  You'll never look back and wish you hadn't spent the time.

A sense of humor is a pot of gold.  I suppose this is only my opinion, but a sense of humor keeps everything positive.  Unless you use your powers for negative, but that's a whole other story indeed.

Fake it until you make it.  Don't laugh.  It's true.  Whether you believe it or not, it's what you tell yourself that you end up believing and making true.  Cue the Journey music.

Art is amazing. 

Don't use the term amazing, unless you're talking about God, or something of the equivalent.

Eat what you like, but please, like good food.  Potato chips and cookies don't equate.  Try new things; and start with the ones you can't pronounce and have no idea what will end up in front of you.  Once you realize you ate eel, raw quail egg isn't so scary.

Cook.  It's theraputic.  It's healthy.  It's cheaper.  You're either by yourself or your kids are helping.  It's perfect alone or quality time.  And you might be good at it.  You never know.

Be decisive.  Indecisiveness is annoying and unattractive.  If you don't know, take a stab at it.  You never passed a multiple answer test by not guessing.  C'mon.

Exercise.  Don't talk yourself out of that morning run because it's thirty degrees outside.  Don't ditch that gym class because you think you might not be fit enough to keep up.  Do it anyway.  Not only will you get a great workout; your conscience will slap you in the face with confidence and esteem.  It never doesn't pay off!

Spend time with friends.  They lift you.  They hold you.  They listen.  You do the same.  Make some extra time for these ones.

Love others, because you never know who needs it, or how much time you have.  People are sensitive; you can tell by their immense and bigoted boundaries.  In my opinion, love will make it better.  Not the way you want it to, necessarily, but ultimately, it will be better. 

Do what you love.  You might think you aren't great.  You might not be able to find the time.  While these are understandable conditions, it's time to take pride in what you love to do, good or not.  It's 2013, after all.  When do you think you might make time for what you love?

And finally, DO YOU, respectfully.  You know what our society is missing??  Individuality and respect.  Respect is not hard and it's often overlooked.  Respect everyone.  But also, be you.  There's a divide between respect and individuality, it seems, and I hope this year, we're able to repair some of that.  You should be able to be yourself without judgement, as long as you aren't harming another, But in that, it should be respectful.

I've been inspired with these many ideas, and more; and to me, they are far more inspiring than joining a gym and losing twenty pounds.  I'll keep biting my nails until I know I believe in my art.  I'll keep writing as long as I know I believe in my intellect.  I think, a lot of my resolutions aren't so new to me, but completely living them as well as teaching them to others will be undeniable.  I think if we were able to build a stronghold, we'd be able to teach the world, and ourselves, a thing or two.

Happy New Year!!

P.S.  I may attempt to learn cello this year.  I challenge you to do something similar.